Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default telefunken elam 260

has anyone here used these?

I have to record and mix an album project for a piano trio in their personal studio next week. Well record there, mix at my place. I've been there before- the rooms are pretty good actually. They want lots of isolation for a modern sound and the ability to fix things.

They sent over their mic list today. I was planning on bringing mostly my own mics but i wanted to see what they had to augment. The only stereo pairs I have are a single pair of schoeps and a pair of dpa miniatures. Depending on what they had I was going to use the schoeps on the piano and not use the dpa's. The only stereo pairs they have are these telefunken 260's that I've never heard and a pair of 414 xl2's which I don't like but they're not bad.

So I'm wondering what these tfunks sound like and if they're worth auditioning on the drums or the piano. I know what the schoeps and dpa's sound like. I want a quick setup for obvious reasons so I don't want to spend a lot of time dicking around with mics. I'd really rather not use the 414's on drums or piano (although for a modern sound they might not be bad on the piano but I can't bring myself to do it!) so I may end up with the dpa's lavs on the piano.

the piano is a good sounding, not too bright but not mellow steinway B.

so how do they sound?

as usual, thanks for the help.