Posted to rec.audio.tech
kiwianalog kiwianalog is offline

Default can anyone identify this stylus and cartridge?

"harrogate3" wrote in message

"kiwianalog" kiwi@analog wrote in message
Hi, I bought a 2ndhand kenwood kd-55f turntable from a shop a couple

of
weeks ago and was told by the guy that it had an audio technica

needle, I
knew almost nothing at the time but was sceptical but he assured me

this is
what it was but despite that I am now almost convinced it is not

such a
thing as there are no markings on it of any kind and i am not even

sure that
the needle can be removed from the cartridge which would be a very

bad sign.
Anyhow if someone can confirm whether it is a audio technica and

even better
what exactly it is it would be greatly appreciated. The link to a

photo is
below.

http://www.pbase.com/kiwianalog/image/70416766

Have you removed the cartridge from the carrier? The make and model is
very often printed on the top.

Thanks, i have positively identified the needle as this
http://www.styli.co.nz/stylus-335.html , have not removed the cartridge from
the headshell as suggested yet because I have to be careful that i can put
it back in the right alignment.

As regards removing the 'needle' it is the whole of the yellow section
that comes off the body. Very carefully grip the sides of the stylus
housing and pull it forward - it comes out in a slightly downwards
sloping line. Don't pull too hard - if it is going to come out it will
do without much effort: some are not designed to be replaceable -
those type just won't budge.

Thanks the downward sloping line bit was what was needed.

What makes you think it needs replacing anyway? Removed the cartridge
carrier complete and look at the stylus end on with a powerful
magnifying lens or better still under a microscope. If it is damaged
it will be obvious.

The fact that the sound quality is well below my new $100 cheapie turntable
was what makes me know something is wrong.
I will see if I can find someway to look at the needle like you say. Now the
needle is out i can see quite a bit of yellowy brown gunk contaminating the
cartridge.

You might find it cheaper to buy a complete new cartridge than to swap
the stylus. Look at Shure, Ortofon, Grado, AKG, even Audio-Technica,
although I admit I don't know if all/any are still in business. If you
can afford it a high output moving coil type (as distinct from a
'normal' moving iron) will pay for itself in the improvement in
quality. I used to have a Dynavector and it was superb. I currently
use and AT90E m-c with transformer and wouldn't change it for
anything - well anything I can afford anyway!!

So I take it from that that the needle is included when you buy a cartridge.
Probably won't go for a moving coil type because of cost.