Paul Stamler

wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks again to everyone's help. Let me ask this question and see if
anyone has any thoughts.

Do you think there would be much difference in quality betweeen:

A) Using the Tascam unit (16 bit), along with it's own phantom power +
2 mics (under $300 for both mics)

and

B) Just using the Edirol R-1 unit (24 bit) which has two built in
stereo mics.

???

Yes. With the Edirol you have no choice about the type of mic, the relative
placement, etc.. My impression is that they're okay for, say, recording a
meeting, but not the quality one would want for classical guitar. The Tascam
with a pair of decent mics (see if you can stretch to $400 for a matched
pair of Oktava MC012s from Sound Room) will give you quite decent results
and allow you to experiment with all sorts of mic positions.

Peace,
Paul