Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default What mics are you using?

Pops wrote:
Just received the new Swee****er Spring 2007 catalog. Disclaimer; "THIS
IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT!" However, they do have a page entitled, "Studio
Hardware Packages," where they suggest a "Mic Cabinet" that includes the
following:

1 SM57 - Shure Dynamic Mic
1 RE20 - Electrovoice Dynamic Broadcast Mic
1 MD421 - Sennheiser Cardioid Dynamic Mic
1 DK25R - Earthowrks Drum Kit System - Recording
1 NT5 - Rode Matched Pair Condenser Mics
1 AT4050 - Audio-Technica Multi-pattern Condenser Mic
1 MA200 - Mojave Audio Tube Condenser Mic
1 TLM103 - Neumann LDC Condenser Mic - Nickel
1 C414BXLS - AKG LDC Mic
1 R121 - Royer Dynamic Ribbon Mic + RSM1 Royer Shockmount
1 U195 - Soundelux LD FET Mic
1 Dragonfly - Blue Cardioid Condenser Mic

Total List $12,558.00 USD, they say, under $9,800...even at that price
that's quite a cabinet! Now for those of us on a budget, maybe these
are some good and decent choices, but I guess it all depends where in
the game/chain you are and ($$$) you have? Hmmm? The redundancy on
dynamic and condenser mics, I would venture to think they have enough
varying characteristic's that warrant the inclusions. FWIW!

The 421 is useful, but I'd trade half the condensers in there for a good
441. And there aren't really any top-grade small diaphragm condensers in
there at all. If I were going for a $10k cabinet, I would start with a
pair of Schoeps/DPA/Sennheiser MKH series mikes, or at least a pair of
Josephson Series Fours. Toss the NT5, TLM103, U195, and R121.... not
that they aren't good but your money would be better spent elsewhere at
first.

Oh, and note that they have no Beyer ribbons in that list. Also the 421
they have is probably the nasty 421 Mk II and not the regular one.