Posted to rec.audio.pro
Fletch Fletch is offline

Default What mics are you using?

On Mar 20, 12:22 pm, "Ben - TheStudioRI.com"
wrote:
On Mar 20, 10:25 am, "Fletch" wrote:

On Mar 18, 1:21 pm, "ostaz" wrote:

I'm always interested in what other people are using for studio mics. I am
fairly limited in that I only have two Nady scm-1000's and a Shure sm-58
beta which I use for live, not really for studio. The Nadys sound pretty
good when I use them for vox, sax, or bouzouki. I think they are a decent
general purpose mic and they were not very expensive. I just got the new
Mackie 1642 vlz mixer and I think I'm going to try to use it's preamps for
the next recording because I really hate my TubeMP....it sounds way too
harsh!

Pete

I've been using AT4050's for vocals and room, 57's of course for
guitar and whatever, D112 on kick, NT-5's on overheads, AT4041's for
acoustic instruments.

I will be adding C414Buls, Neumann TLM49 and some others over this
coming year.

--Fletch

Fletch, I own a pair of the 414's and was looking at purchasing a
4050. have you put the two side by side to compare? I'd be
interesting in knowing the differences you hear. One person told me
the 4050 was very 414-esque. If it is, then there's no point in
getting the 4050 for me, but alas, I have not compared them
personally. I'm still wanting to hear the TLM49, but my time has been
really short lately..

I think you'll find it's a matter of taste. Really, the 4050 does some
things very well. And as you know, not all LDCs are created equal to a
given task. The 4050 is a bit weak in the figure of 8, so not good for
M-S recording, which the 414 does better on that. I think the 414s are
a little brighter, too. Plus 5 polar patterns vs. 3 adds to the appeal
of having a couple in the closet. And I like them for overheads, too.

Ty has a report and sound files of the TLM49 on his site. But, yeah,
before I commit, I want to use one on a session.

--Fletch