Posted to comp.misc,rec.audio.tech
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default [CM] Headphones - Hearing aids

Trevor writes:

On 21/04/2017 6:00 AM, geoff wrote:
On 20/04/2017 9:34 PM, Trevor wrote:
Actually they are just an amplifier, active equaliser and compressor
with various stored custom settings like the ones you mention.
What really ****es me off is that it is so simple now to have Bluetooth
control from your mobile phone over all parameters of a hearing aid.
Sadly there are no aids available that do that simply because the
Audiologists want to keep their huge profits from fitting and adjusting
the aids. And some of the ones that do have control over volume and mode
settings via Bluetooth only work with iPhones because they are too slack
to write the apps for Android.

Or maybe they don't want every know-all Tom Dick and Harry further
damaging their hearing by inept use and settings ?

Yeah that's what the Audiologists want you to believe!!!
Not everyone is a complete numpty, although perhaps you are?
Sadly most people never get them adjusted to maximum performance
because after going back a few times to the audiologist they get sick
of it and give up. Even worse, many who get free aids through the
government pension scheme give up, throw them in the draw and never
use them. I know a few like that, a complete waste of taxpayer money
to subsidise audiologists pension funds. :-(

I find unsubstantiated cynicism disturbing.
It speaks to paranoia which is a mental illness.
Hearing aids are mostly not covered by any insurance,
let alone US government payments. Who knew audiologists
have pension funds? Apparently, only you.

Anyone with hearing loss would do well to continue with annual
hearing evaluations.

My audiologist uses some Windows based software to access
the hearing aids, I'd like a copy, and I don't buy any
safety arguments. But I don't know how to analyze the
results of a hearing test and convert that into hearing aid
settings. I'm not upset that I don't have the software.
It's probably just as well.

--
Dan Espen