Richard Tomkins

What about using APC systems?

"Kurt Albershardt" wrote in message
hollywood_steve wrote:

Like a lot of cheap fools, I waited until after I had an "accident" on
a job before I purchased a UPS for my location rig. (someone pulled
the plug on my power strip a few minutes before the start of the
show!). OK, lesson learned.

Ouch. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

While reading up on the different types of UPS systems, I learned that
the "online" (always on battery supply) version might be better than
the "line interactive (monitors situation and switches to battery when
necessary). But I couldn't find an online version that wasn't grossly
oversized (and expensive) for the single hard disk recorder that I
plan on running off of it. I ended up with a rackmount Tripp-Lite
line interactive product, the SmartPro 450.

One spec that shows up on line interactive models that is not
applicable to online versions is the switchover or transfer time.
(the time it takes to switch over to battery power after it has
detected some sort of power problem. My unit is listed at 2 to 4
milliseconds, but I don't have any idea of that is adequate or if its
long enough to make the UPS an expensive boat anchor?

2-4 ms should be fine unless your power supplies have woefully inadequate

storage caps.

I'll again suggest one of the Oneac units since they have builtin power

conditioning, often useful in dodgy house power environments. Their ON400A
is reasonably portable and not hard to find used. Much more expensive than
an APC but much more protection. They've also got a 700VA online unit in
their Sinergy line. Their site appears to be undergoing a rework--some of
the ULRs I had cached are no longer valid and the links to their spec sheets
are broken right now, but they're a really great company to deal with.