Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Stereo amp stop produce sound

Tnguyen wrote:
I have a Samson S1000 that accepts a subwoofer signal from pre/pro and
drives a passive SVS subwoofer. Until recent day, the amp stops amplified
sound. Through troubleshooting, it indicates that the fault is in the S1000
amp. I am able to get the SVS sub working by placing a working amplifier
between the pre/pro and the sub. This setup eliminates the suspicion of the
two components: pre/pro and the sub.

Okay, you have a junky DJ-grade amplifier, and it broke. Are you surprised?

When I run the 5.1 sound balance with the S1000 in the system, sound is not
emanating from the subwoofer. However if I test the subwoofer peak from the
pre/pro and max out the test volume @ +15db (vol from the test menu in the
pre/pro), the amp does creat sound but not at a very loud level as when it
is working properly. What could posibly cause this problem?

All kinds of things could cause something like that to happen, but clearly
something in the signal path isn't passing much signal.

BTW, the S1000 is a stereo amp. I only use one channel to power the sub. I
test both channel but they exhibit the same symptom as described in the
second paragraph.

If the problem is common to both channels, that would tend to incriminate
the power supply, which is common to both channels.

In general, though, these amplifiers are not worth the money to have a
tech look at them, and probably aren't worth your time to open them up
unless you value your labour very little.

If you open it you'll probably find two big rails and two small rails...
and if you measure them you'll probably find one or more of them is dead.