MZ

But I think you're making a
mistake when you try to extend your own personal observations to all
speakers.

I have NEVER said that my experience can be applied to all speakers, in
fact, I have no idea what I might have said that gave you that idea. In
fact, that is preciesly the point I have been trying to make. In the

world
of car audio speakers, I have used only a handful. I only intended to

share
MY experiences.

When you say that the sensitivity rating matters, and I point out to you
that it doesn't, you counter with your own personal observations from a
"handful" of speakers. My explanation, however, was all-encompassing. It
deals with speakers in general, and how there's more to the story of SPL
than mere sensitivity ratings at 1 watt, 1 meter, and 1kHz.

It is YOU who is extending your conclusions to ALL sensitivity ratings.

You
said they are all meaningless. Have you annalyzed how EVERY speaker
manufactureer measures their sensitivity? I doubt it.

It's not necessary. I'll just refer to the standard that you brought up
earlier in the thread, and assume that a good portion of the manufacturers
use that "standard". Well, that standard does not tell the whole story. In
fact, sensitivity in and of itself does not give us the information
necessary to predict which speaker is going to play louder - that is, unless
we're talking about which speaker is going to play 1 watt 1kHz tones louder
from 1 meter away on-axis.

Again, we are going in circles but like I have said I just don't think you
can make a statement like all sensitivity ratings are useless and should

be
ignored. That's what got me going on this in the first place. That
presumes you know EVERYTHING about how EVERY manufacturerer measures their
speakers sensitivity. I know, I know, BA doen't play by the rules and I'm
sure many others don't as well, it just seems to me it is best to stick to
what you know for sure. For instance, maybe BA measures their sensitivity

differently, but maybe the results are usefull in comparing BA speakers to
other speakers. Could this be possible? Do you know? If so, THIS is the
kind of information I find useful, personal observations.

I don't understand what you're getting at. How could BA be making their
speakers easier to compare to others by using a different testing
methodology than the others?

Again, MZ, I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this
issue. You see, you are NEVER going to convince me that sensitivity

ratings
are useless. My EXPERIENCE says they are. End of story.

Hopefully others reading this will come to the decision themselves - do they
side with the person who provides an explanation and examples, or do they
side with the person who doesn't? Others can make up their own mind about
whether or not a subwoofer's rating while measured at 1 watt and 1kHz is
relevant.