Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default BIAS regulation Electro Harmonix KT90 vs Jinvina KT90

On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 10:07:17 AM UTC-5, Big Bad Bob wrote:

I have to wonder whether or not a 'hybrid' design (part fixed, part
cathode) might be better...

Forgive an analogy:

Back in the day, VW had drum brakes on all four wheels, typically made by ATE. They used a fairly basic star adjuster system accessed through a hole in the the drum with a flat-bladed screwdriver. This was when pretty much every other maker (Except Mercedes) had switched to self-adjusting (drum) brakes. Once upon a time, VW was asked why they maintained the user-adjust system instead of the then-cheaper self-adjust option.

They answered: Self adjusting brakes are never excellent. Most if the time, they are barely good, as they adjust only when on the edge of failure (true at the time). Our brakes can be excellent.

At about 5 minutes per month, I can make sure that my bias is dead-on, adjusted to the type and age of tubes in place, and changed as needed. Not so easy with other systems. *Although I also have an amp built that way that is just fine.*

Now, very nearly everybody uses disc brakes and the issue is moot.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA