Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jenn[_3_] Jenn[_3_] is offline

Default UPDATE

In article ,
Charlie Olsen wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:07:21 +0000, Laurence Payne wrote:

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:38:57 -0500, Charlie Olsen
wrote:

Good story, and quite typical in my experience. Each year I receive a
couple of hundred scholarship audition recordings. Going through that
stack with the knowledge that the decisions can make make real
differences in people's futures is daunting.

I can't imagine having that much control over a person's life and having to
do it each year.

Yeah, it's frightening. On a theatre audition - someone's good at
dancing and acting so the director looks at me - "Voice OK?" I'm very
concious of my power over whether they're going to be earning for the
next few months.

Actually, it's more when they beat you up after the audition... :-(

I used to work as a rehearsal/audition pianist so I know exactly the pain
you are feeling.

The worst are the kids with stage mothers.

ie: My little Susie prefers that you play "Tomorrow, from Annie" in the key
of F#.
Key of G please

I had a million come backs for the idiocy I used to get blasted with.

"I've never heard Tomorrow chanted quite like that before"
"Your daughter has the ability to sing in several keys. All at once"
"Your daughter's singing brings tears to my eyes".
"When your daughter performs I'll bet there isn't a dry eye in the house"

etc....

"When hears music like that, one can only think: Salieri!"