Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Vintage Shure 55c, trouble getting good sound quality

Could you live with an omni? =A0You could block up a 55 body and install
a small omni capsule. =A0You'd still have all the awful edge effects of
the grille, but you wouldn't have to worry about rear venting which
would take a lot of the nastiness off. =A0Unusable for PA work, but fine
for TV.

Yeah, I think that's what I might do, though I'm nervous about costs,
but I guess I've already sunk a lot into this, a little more won't
hurt.

I'm still totally at a loss for what you want, though.

I thought the bullet is omnidirectional, but you said its junk,
right?

No, it's a great microphone for distorted harmonica. If what you want
is a microphone for blues harp, it's the way to go.

Honestly, I've used the 55 SH before, and I love the way it sounds.
It's not pro quality, but good enough for me, if that helps explain
what I'm looking for.

For WHAT, though? This is for a TV broadcast application? For PA?
For what? Why is it so important that the mike look a particular way?