Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Newbie Qs on Monitoring Overdubs and Choice of Audio Interface

On 7/4/19 6:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Bob Simon wrote:
I am getting ready to buy my first audio interface. With no digital record=
ing experience, I need some advice on monitoring overdubs. I had been look=
ing at the Focusrite Clarett 2Pre Thunderbolt audio interface (connected to=
my HP Spectre x360 with Thunderbolt 3) because it has especially low laten=
cy in hopes that I would be able to monitor my live overdub tracks via the =
DAW. However, Focusrite Tech Support suggested I get the USB version of th=
e Clarett instead because there are problems with the Thunderbolt implement=
ation on some Windows machines. Has anyone here tried to use Thunderbolt o=
n the HP Spectre x360 - 13-ac076nr (Z4Z25UA)?

Get a small cheap mixer for monitoring, so you don't have to monitor through
the computer. Some interfaces have such a thing built in, but there is no
reason not to just get a Mackie 1202 or something to have for the job,
because someday you'll want it for something else anyway.

I differ on this point. I had a 1402 in front of my audio interface
for years. When I finally realized how to use the monitor mix in
software I realized that the mixer was entirely superfluous. Some
can't let go of the feel of faders, I get it, but that's really all
a dedicated mixer has to offer given the software that comes with
a well designed interface.