Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,rec.audio.tech
Arlen Holder Arlen   Holder is offline

Default Typical first pass tutorial process on Windows 10 where NONE of the extent how to articles actually tell you what you really need to do!

On Wed, 04 Nov 2020 10:57:54 -0500, Paul wrote:

"Allow desktop apps to access your microphone"
+-------+
| | X | "On"
+-------+

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your always purposefully helpful advice as not only do I learn
more from your help, but others who are lurking will also benefit greatly.

Thanks for clarifying that because the goal, always, is a tutorial that
others can use so they would be up & running in minutes, not hours.

I must admit that I don't even know what the "microphone" has to do with
it, 'cuz I don't even _have_ a microphone on my desktop!

Nonetheless, in my frustration, I turned on _everything_ I could:
o Win+R ms-settingsrivacy-microphone
Where it seems, from what you wrote, I only needed to turn on:
o Allow desktop apps to access your microphone = on

Ooops.

I just tested that setting and you need _another_ setting:
o Allow apps to access your microphone = On

What's confusing is that my desktop doesn't even have a mic!

Worse, the tutorials conflictingly said to set the "Host:" to:
o Audacity:Edit Preferences Devices Host:
[MME])
[Windows WASAPI]
Where they don't even explain what the difference is.

googling for what the terms mean:
https://www.swee****er.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-difference-between-asio-wdm-mme-drivers/
o MME === Microsoft Multimedia Environment
o WASAPI === Windows Audio Session API
o WDM === Windows Driver Model
o ASIO === Audio Streaming Input / Output
o DirectSound === Direct Sound

Looking it up, it apparently doesn't matter all that much, so the tutorials
should just say that (instead of telling us to use one or the other).
https://superuser.com/questions/895525/mme-windows-directsound-or-wasapi
o MME: (multimedia events)
The Audacity default and the most compatible with all audio devices.
o Windows DirectSound:
More recent than MME with potentially less latency.
o Windows WASAPI:
WASAPI is particularly useful for "loopback" devices for recording
computer playback. 24-bit recording devices are supported.
Playback is emulated using this host.

It's not clear to me though _when_ you need "loopback recording":
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/win32/coreaudio/loopback-recording

Audacity is a desktop app of the Win32 persuasion,
rather than a Metro one.

Ah. Thanks. I didn't know what a "desktop" app was, since, well, as you may
know, I have zero "metro" apps (I don't even have a Microsoft Account),
although I guess I have the "default" Microsoft apps which "may" be Metro.

You also need that when doing things like WebRTC video
conferences with a web browser, as that is a desktop application.

I'm not sure what "WebRTC" is, but if you're doing a conference with a web
browser, then you definitely _need_ an actual microphone, don't you?

Looking up WebRTC:
o https://bloggeek.me/what-is-webrtc/
"WebRTC enables voice communication to work inside HTML5 pages"

OK. But you _still_ need a "real" microphone for that, right?

What was unintuitive about "this" error was that you don't need a
microphone for Audacity to record the audio.

It's not intuitive you need the non-existent "microphone" to be enabled.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/m...r-wont-install
Some pictures.
https://i.postimg.cc/g0WdQhnf/audio-fix.gif

Note that in that picture, _above_ of what you imaged is that there is yet
_another_ microphone setting which _also_ must be turned on (I think).
o https://i.postimg.cc/nhCyRNNW/audacity01.jpg

So you need to turn on _two_ settings for Audacity to record streams
o Win+R ms-settingsrivacy-microphone
1. Turn on "Allow apps to access your microphone" = On
2. Turn on "Allow desktop apps to access your microphone" = On
Even if you don't have a microphone (which I don't have, for example).

Name: 0008-64bit_Win7_Win8_Win81_Win10_R281.exe === Realtek driver used
Size: 217553063 bytes (207 MiB)
SHA1: 2404B101CA214BCB2E9970DB528180FBF888B30E

Hmm. That's interesting that you apparently had to update your sound card
driver in order to get Audacity to record from streaming audio (if I
understood you correctly).

If so, this is interesting that you had to install a RealTek driver.
o I didn't have to do that for Audacity to record streaming audio sans mic

But... I've updated my drivers as described in gory detail in this thread
o Tutorial: How to update a driver that Windows just doesn't want to update
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/a23fY9CM6rY

Specifically, my RealTek driver is reported by Dumo freeware as:
o Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek 6.0.8978.1, available 6.0.9018.1
o Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller, Realtek 10.43.723.2020, available 10.45.928.2020
o Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader, Realtek, 10.0.19041.31262, available 10.0.19041.31263

As shown in this Dumo freeware screenshot taken just now:
o https://i.postimg.cc/Y00X4TFS/audacity02.jpg
--
See also:
o What's the one free Windows 10 driver update tool you prefer most & why?

o How do I know when the Windows driver verifier program is running?
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.comp.microsoft.windows/NG4AzbPKsXs