---MIKE---

Default Active EQ and mic placement

I am using a Rane 1/3 octave equalizer and a Rane spectrum analyzer. I
place the microphone at my ear level listening position and pointing
straight up. I find that after equalizing, the sound is much too
bright. It was suggested that I should set up a downward slope of .9 to
1.0 dB/octave starting at 2 khz (after eq adjustments). This would
result in a drop of about 3 dB at 16K. Also, Rane recommends using
mostly minus adjustments on the equalizer. I found these suggestions to
be very helpful. I also found that measuring bass response was not
useful at all. I have no idea why that is, but I use a considerable
boost at 40 and 50 and cuts at 80 and 100 to get smooth response. This
is using several sub woofers.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')