Miles O'Neal

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:21:03 -0500, Rich Koerner wrote:

In fact, there are *no* class B amps.

What the hell are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he meant in hi fi and guitar amps.
Obviously they exist in other worlds,
but not in these two, AFAIK.
A class B amp

What the hell are you talking about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've wondered a time or two. 8^/

Load relationships is not the issue to understanding the class of
operation of the tubes. The role of the load is irrelevant!!!!!!

You simply don't look to the load to identify the class of operation.

Apparently he does. He defines class of operation
by load, THD and, as far as I can tell, POTM. 8^)
Such an amp is regarded as class B. Everyone knows there is bugger all
class A power,
and lots of class B power.

Which I found hysterical. Even translating
into his terms, it's just plain silly. I
have a 12W Class A amplifier in my shop at
the moment. I can easily build a 30W Class
A amp from 6L6GCs (know he would claim it
was only 24W).

But again, I suspect he's refering to
hi fi amps, since my 12W and 30W would be
at much higher distortion levels than he
would be willing to tolerate.

[Actual definitions snipped]

Now, start from there, and you will have more here in AGA, who have a
chance of following you.

Or anywhere else there is anyone with much
of a EE background.

Hey! I think I want to define "mu" as "what
the stage circuit gain ought to be". That
way I can make all sorts of observations
about the fools who run their amps at sub-optimal
mu levels. Maybe I'll call that "lu" for "lusers".
8^)

BTW, I'm not casting any aspersions on his
abilities as an amp tech or designer - hifi
or music. And he can be pretty funny when
he wants to. Although he didn't go far
enough in the bit about the Australian pubs.
I think when the celebration gets so intense
the pub burns, they consider it cause for an
even bigger celebration, and go looking for
another pub to "hang" in.

-Miles