Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Ivan Katz Ivan Katz is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

On Sat, 03 Nov 2007 11:37:12 +1300, Geoff wrote:

Ty Ford wrote:
oops! Snneezed and hit the send.

Guitar cords.

Check Louis out at http://www,gothamaudiousa.com

Regards,

Ty Ford

Weirder yet, I don't see the pre-sneeze post....

Anyway. We heard differences when comparing the house belden with
Gotham GAC-3 and EMT 2220 a few years ago. Subtle, but it was there.

Maybe you moved your head, furniture, or listening position a few
inches, or yawned. That should totally swamp any cable differences.

geoff

Pretty much......

I remember back in the 80s when CD players were brand new, I went to a
clinic given at Harvey by Sony. I dragged my Magnavox, yes Magnavox
because it had great converters, to the clinic and had the Sony people
connect it to their test equipment and give me a print out.
The unit did very well and they were a wee bit surprised so I got invited
to A--B it with their top of the line ES player, which BTW cost about 10
times what I paid for the Magnavox....

They did have a comparator and the tests were double blind.

Nothing was rigged as far as I could tell, unlike a Bose dog and pony
show I went to...don't ask.....

We sat there sipping some nice wine and enjoying the music but none of us
could hear any difference between the $300 player and the $2500 player.
Maybe it was us?
Maybe it was the wine?
Who knows!

That was until a CD with tubuler bells was played.
Yep, the Sony sounded clearer and everyone could hear the difference.
We all laughed though because WTF?
How many people play solo tubular bell CDs and even still, the difference
was so minor you had to really concentrate to hear it.
Still, there WAS a difference....

Just some words.....

Like Scott said, maybe there is a difference but is it really *better*?
What is *better* anyhow?