Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.tech
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Doug Sax on wire

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:

Well, I have heard differences between wires,

That weren't speaker cables or high capacitance interconnects ?

Well, in some cases they were very long microphone cables with ribbon
mike sources, where the cable reactance WAS becoming a problem.

How long were those mic cables ?

Really only a few hundred feet. Not SUPER long. And if you can hear an
effect with a couple hundred feet, it's going to get worse when you have
a couple thousand foot run out to the truck.

But in other cases I have heard weirdness that I cannot explain. I can
tell the difference between an 18ga solid core and an 18ga stranded
speaker cable. Makes no sense at all, but it was there.

Intruiging.

I'm looking for a good explanation. At the time I could repeat it consistently
too.

I can believe someone might hear a difference between a non-copper cable
like the silver cable, and I can believe it might be due to rectification
effects.

Well, it won't be the additional conductivity of the silver since that's just a
thin plating.

No, some of the swanky audiophile cables are actually solid silver. Which is
a major pain in the neck, actually, because it's brittle.

Silver plated copper cable is very common, though, for high voltage work.
It doesn't develop tin whiskers. I often use it for tube amplifier hookup
wire, mostly because I got a bunch of it cheaply once. I doubt it sounds
any different.

I know that I can hear a difference between copper-clad-steel
RG-174 and similar copper cable. I am pretty sure that is due to junction
issues.

Copper clad steel will have significantly higher resistance than steel of
course. Your contacts would have to be fairly dirty for rectification to kick
in, I'll venture.

Maybe, but you have that steel-copper junction there in the middle of
everything. I'm thinking of that being an issue, rather than a parasitic
copper oxide rectifier.