Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Default Building a new shortwave tube radio

My next receiver will be an SDR. Eliminating all but one conversion
stage (since the SDR goes straight from RF to I/Q baseband) and
doing all the filtering and demodulation with perfect mathematical
accuracy in software not only gives you tremendous dynamic range and
filtering capability, but it makes the recovered audio almost
supernaturally clean-sounding.

Listening to a good SDR into a high-fidelity sound system for the
first time is like discovering that pillows had been strapped to
your speakers, and gravel had been stuck to your voice coil, for all
these years -- and finally removing them.

The SDRs I have seen have been mickey mouse affairs that used sound
cards for demod. But when a good standalone unit is offered at a
reasonable price I will give it a try.