Posted to rec.audio.pro,uk.rec.audio

Default converting WAV file to MP3

On 1/3/2020 4:05 PM, lid wrote:
I want to convert this to an MP3 file.

Please tell me what settings I should use for the MP3 file, eg; MP3
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec (professional), attributes eg 128
kbit/sec, 48.000 Hz, Mono

If you take Don's advice to use the defaults (and his advice is
perfectly reasonable) you'll likely end up with a stereo file with the
same audio on both channels. There's nothing wrong with that other than
that the file is twice as big as it needs to be. So if you want a mono
MP3 file, you'll need to find the setting for it.

As far as bit rate is concerned, 128 kbps is roughly equivalent in
quality to a high quality cassette, though distortion characteristics
are different. Sadly, that's good enough for most listeners, and better
than a good many of them get through streams and downloads. In many
listening tests, all but the most skilled listeners, when comparing a CD
with a 192 kbps 44.1 or 48 kHz MP3 file, can't accurately identify which
is which.

When I make MP3 files to listen to in my car or on a plane, I use 128
kbps. I usually use Audacity by importing the WAV file, then exporting
it as an MP3. It gives you the choice of stereo or mono and a choice of
bit rates. I don't think it converts sample rate (you can't import a
44.1 kHz WAV file and export it as a 48 kHz MP3).

Bit rate can either be fixed (64, 128, 192, 256, etc kbps) or variable.
Variable can provide slightly better fidelity - the encoder gives you a
little extra resolution when it thinks it's advantageous, but saves
space by not running at a high bit rate all the time. I use fixed bit
rates because I know everything can play them.

So for "plenty good enough" use 128 kbps, fixed rate, or for the peanut
gallery, they won't know the difference, other than in time it takes to
download or space it takes on a drive, between 64 and 128 kbps.

--
For a good time, call
http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com