Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Volume Level of "Tuner" vs that of "CD" "Tape" or "Phono" on my home stereo, boombox, or car receiver

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 20:38:13 -0700 (PDT), ChrisCoaster
wrote:

It's the same wherever I go. In the car, I switch from my mp3 jack or
CD to a FM station and instinctively I have to turn the volume down by
at least 1/3rd.

Just the way it is, I'm afraid. When your boombox was designed they
probably set it as near equal as they could. Since then relative
loudnesses of the media have changed, and that is what you are
hearing. If you have any technical savvy, you could perhaps get inside
the box and adjust everything to level it back up.

At home, switching from a record, CD or tape to the radio - gotta
crank that volume down! Ditto at the beach on my boombox.

You can **** off with your boombox at the beach. Use headphones and
stop being an inconsiderate little ****. That's the last bit of advice
you are getting.