Bob Cain

Default Portable Field Recorder -Recommendations Sought

DrBoom wrote:

George W. wrote in message . ..

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 06:28:18 GMT, Bob Cunico wrote:

I am looking for advice for purchasing a recording system for voice and
natural sounds. The most important features are cost $300, must be
portable, and as high a frequency range as possible (20-20kHz would be
ideal).

Hi-MD, due out next month by Sony. Units with mic inputs start at
around $250 list. One GB uncompressed PCM (or Atrac3), USB in and out,
data storage, more....

They would be GREAT for some applications, but from what I've been able
to find out, the initial Sony units won't let you transfer anything via USB
that was recorded through the digital inputs.

Correct. They are still trying to place their finger in the
digital dike. I also have trouble seeing how that
particular finger really has any impact on the larger
problem. I particularly dislike it because it leaves you at
the mercy of their front ends and converters which have not
been historically of especially good quality. Maybe they'll
compensate us on that score.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein