Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] 0junk4me@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Need advice: audio for live video

On 2011-05-11 (ScottDorsey) said:
Mr Soul wrote:
In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I have carted
my DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to gigs and recorded it in 8
tracks. I then sync the audio up to the video and viola - I've
gotten pretty good results. I can certainly do this again.

snip
The 4050 is not what I would choose as an ambient mike and I
suspect you will be disappointed with that.

I"d agree, and most consumer cameras, as the man notes suck
in the audio department thanks to agc that can't be
defeated.

- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW

Both of these are fine ideas. If you can live with a final mono
mix, you can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed
and mix in post.

Maybe so but if you really want to get it good, bring your
daw, a small mixer and mic splits, that way you can make
sure you're getting what the recording needs, as well as do
whatever suits for ambience mics.

The better the PA quality, the easier it is. The worse the PA, the
harder.

wHich is why for these things I always like my own feed
directly from the mics that the pa is using, if I want
something different I can always mic an element of the
performance differently, but if the mic placement and type
is reasonable I can just go with it, and not have to worry
about the experience or ears of the pa operator, or the
quality of the system.

The higher the expectations from the product you'll be
creating the more control you want. IF it's just for folks
to listen to and pass around to a few friends you might make
compromises, but these days, such limited distribution
recordings often seem to find their way onto youtube and
such places. IF you have to compromise the sound tell the
performers that if it goes onto the net for the public that
because they asked you to do it on the cheap to not put your
name on it grin.

Richard webb,

replace anything before at with elspider
ON site audio in the southland: see
www.gatasound.com