Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

Default Need advice: audio for live video

"Mr Soul":
On May 11, 1:29 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Mr Soul wrote:

In the past when I've recorded audio for live video, I have carted
my DAW, audio interface, monitor, etc. to gigs and recorded it in 8
tracks. I then sync the audio up to the video and viola - I've
gotten pretty good results. I can certainly do this again.

However, I'd like to see if there's some easier way to get
reasonable audio for a video shoot. Alternatives I can think of:

Video of what? A band? A talking head? Something else?

- just shoot the video and use the audio from the camera's mic
(easiest)

This is very bad.

- run the board and/or AT4050 mic into the camera (in stereo)

This can work but unfortunately most consumer cameras have nasty AGC
that cannot be disabled. If you have a decent camera you can run an
ambient
mike and a board feed into two channels and mix later on.

- record using just the AT4050 (I would need a phantom power source
to do this.

The 4050 is not what I would choose as an ambient mike and I suspect
you will be disappointed with that.

- get an portable, digital recorder and record with that
- bring my DAW

Both of these are fine ideas. If you can live with a final mono mix,
you
can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed and mix in
post.

The better the PA quality, the easier it is. The worse the PA, the
harder.

Thanks for the comments.

It's a band.

can probably survive with just a mike feed and a PA feed and mix in
post.

Just to clarify - you are saying run the PA feed half of the stereo
feed and an ambient mic in the other half?

As I understand Scott, yes.
PA mixes are often in mono, so you wonīt lose anything, if you just take L
or R for the cam-feed. Then, add a mono ambience mic for the room sound and
record this on the other side of the camīs stereo input.

Unfortunately, the 4050 is
the best mic I have at my disposal for this task.

Sorry, I canīt recommend a better mic - others here probably can, though...
Anyway, if thereīs a PA rental service in your area, you might be able to
check out one or various mics, without having to buy one.