Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Trevor Wilson Trevor Wilson is offline

Default Luxman SQ38D

On 11/13/2012 1:22 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Trevor Wilson"

Does anyone have a schematic for a Luxman SQ38D? I mostly require
info on the tone amp section. The one I have has been modified and
I need to restore it to standard.

** The " SQ38D" was released in Japan in 1965 - do you really have
one of them ?

**I REALLY do have one of them. In pristine nick too. This being the
beastie in question:

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-SQ38D.html

** Where do you get 6RA8 output triodes these days ??

**Buggered if I know. The ones in the amp I have are OK (admittedly, a
very short test).

Luxman schems were always near impossible to obtain - certainly so
here in Australia.

**Some were. I have a half a filing cabinet drawer full. Mostly solid
state though. A legacy of being a major service agent for the product
from 1980 'till Interdyn let go of the product.

** Luxman was sold and supported by L&G Hoskins in NSW through the 70s and
80s. They also sold Alpine cassette decks and Celestion speakers.

**Actually, I believe Interdyn was the importer of Luxman since the
1960s. I think they had an exclusive with Hoskins 'till the early 1990s
for NSW. I could be wrong though. I recall trying to obtain information
from Hoskins during the 1980s. It was almost impossible.

They adopted the name "Quality Hi-Fi" in 1976 and are still trading under
it.

http://www.qualityhifi.com.au/files/about_us.html

I was alluding to them when I said schems were impossible to get - there
was more chance of getting blood from a stone than having Gordon Hoskins
part with a schematic for any of his products.

**Difficult, but not impossible. I did some service work for them for a
few years last century. I can probably still obtain a manual if I need
one. The trick is knowing who to talk to.

What a Neanderthal.

**You got that right.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au