Scott Dorsey

Default Electrical ground question

Tom Paterson wrote:
From: (Scott Dorsey)

An electrician
working on an outdoor lighting circuit accidentally shorted something.

Even the pros can mess up.

Yup, that's why we have breakers.

The
breaker for the circuit did not trip. The main service breaker did not trip.

What can I say? This is where someone dies and/or the house burns.

That happens a lot with Federal No-Blows, apparently.

One of the many subjects I'm ignorant on, but another consideration or two: an
electrician told me a dedicated computer power circuit was highly advisable.
Didn't get an explanation. Another more recently pointed out that one advantage
of "localized" (by room or function) circuits is that if you do pop a breaker,
the cause is easier to locate. Sounds good to me.

Makes sense. Also you can reduce noise issues with isolated grounding.

Repeating motive for posting: Handyman electrical work kills people and starts
fires. Yes, I've gotten away with (e.g.) plugging room heaters into known-bad
wire, etc. But when you don't "have to"...

Ground rods are "code" for good reason. They can be a PITA to drive and make
work. BTDT myself and also witnessed the struggle on the job. Install problems
are inconsequential.

Grounding systems have been required since the 1930s. But grounded outlets
have not been required until comparatively recently.