Posted to rec.audio.high-end
~misfit~[_3_] ~misfit~[_3_] is offline

Default Legacy Audio speakers -

Somewhere on teh intarwebs Dick Pierce wrote:
Howard Davis wrote:
"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
From the above (thank you!), I take it that claims of greater
efficiency for reflex systems based on the use of the acoustic "back
wave" from the speaker are not valid; that greater efficiency is due
to the characteristics of the driver itself, not the acoustic
radiation through the port of the enclosure?

That is, in essence, correct: the port is najor contributor
to system output when the driver is not, and the driver is
the major contributor to system output when the port is not.

And the port is the major contributor ONLY over a very
narrow band of frequencies, just above the system cutoff
frequency. Above and below that, it's output diminishes
rapidly.

For this and your previous post, thank you Dick. I've read all of that at
various times before but after reading your explaination I feel that I
understand it better.
--
/Shaun.

cozy little classification in the DSM."