Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire Audio_Empire is offline

Default Legacy Audio speakers -

In article ,
Peter Wieck wrote:

On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:01:35 PM UTC-4, Howard Davis wrote:

It is unreasonable to expect that expensive high-performance speakers like

these will not become defective within 20 years if not abused?

In a word, Yes!

It is unreasonable to _EXPECT_ it. In general, I look at any mechanical
device as an equation in several variables being:

a) Purpose
b) Initial quality
c) Cost
d) Performance
e) Use density

So, an electric drill, while a tool has a much different purpose than a
hammer. And an Estwing hammer is of a much greater cost than a piece of
Chinese Junque, while at a typically substantially higher first cost. It will
also likely perform better. I would expect the Estwing to last 20+ years of
hard use easily. I would not expect the Chinese hammer to do the same.
However, if I hammered one nail per year and only into soft wood, either
would likely last beyond my personal need.

While I agree with your premise, I don't think you picked a good
example. While I wouldn't expect a cheap Harbor-Freight electric drill
from China to last more than a couple of years, even with light use, I
would expect that a new US made Porter- Cable electric drill would last
many years. I have my father's Porter-Cable drill that he bought,
probably back in the 1940's. It survived his use (he built furniture as
a hobby) and it survived my childhood abuse (not inconsiderable). When
my father passed, that old drill came down to me. It still works fine
after more than 60 years. OTOH, I bought a hammer out of a one-dollar
tool bin when I first came to California back in the late 1960's. I seem
to recall it had a made in Taiwan sticker on it (long since gone). It is
the only hammer I've ever owned. It is one-piece, drop forged, with a
rubber handle grip. There's nothing to break. The rubber, conceivably,
could have deteriorated, I guess, but it hasn't. The hammer works fine,
and why wouldn't it?

I would not expect any electric tool to last 20 years of hard use without
maintenance.

Maintenance is required for many mechanical manufactured goods, that's
true. But some things not only don't need maintenance, but there's
nothing to maintain. This is true of speakers. How does one maintain a
speaker? By not abusing it? Well, I suppose you call that maintenance if
you stretched the definition of the word somewhat. Speakers can be
repaired but not really "maintained" like a car or a washing machine.

Speakers are the functional equivalent of electrical tools. And have internal
components, parts and pieces subject to time (not use) related deterioration
- capacitors, speaker surrounds, glues and so forth. Some of which may be
relevant, some not. In summary, parts may deteriorate with use, certain
types of magnets for one, some by abuse, some by age, some by all three.
Further, what constitutes 'abuse' will also change with age.

This is true, yet I know someone who is 83 years old and owns two
Electrovoice floor-standing 3-way speaker systems that he bought back in
the 1950's. Both still work fine (they don't sound all that good by
modern standards, but then they never did.)

At this time, I have six (6) sets of speakers in use. The newest of which is
25 years old, the oldest of which is 50 years old. The only ones that do not
(yet) need or have not had some level of maintenance are the newest (AR M5s
as it happens). But all of the others from the Maggies to the AR3as have had
maintenance or repairs made to one extent or another from a new ribbon
tweeter for the Maggies (my fault and a $140 fix) to a complete rebuild of
the crossovers (AR3as), to new surrounds to refinishing the exteriors and
installation of new grille-cloth.

That it is a hobby means that the normal (to me) care-and-feeding of my audio
equipment gives me some pleasure and serves as good therapy. This may not
apply to others. Installing new surrounds may be a PITA, but they are cheap
and don't take much time. Nothing like peeling raisins or counting sugar...
As only one example.

This is repair, not maintenance.

But, if you think you are being ill-used by getting only 20 years out of your
speakers - I truly suggest you should build your own. In that way you may
have complete control of what goes into them, what you expect from them and
the longevity you wish to achieve. There is lots of information out there on
how to do it as well.

In the case of speakers, there are things at play here over which the
consumer has no control. I mentioned a few of them a couple of weeks ago
on this forum. Glue that attacks the grid wires on older Magneplanars,
foam surrounds that deteriorate due to pollutants in the air, cones that
dry out due to the low humidity and forced air heat used in many parts
of the country, etc.

The only recourse here is to replace the damaged components. After 20
years, it's unrealistic to expect the manufacturer to accept the burden
of the costs of such repairs, but you'd be surprised at the number of
high-end manufacturers who will do just that!

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA