Ian Bell

Default System warm-up

"James Harris" no.email.please wrote:

Hi,

My hi-fi sounds great sometimes and not others. I am told that it needs an
hour's warm-up and this could fit with the times it has sounded good. For
example, great one evening but poor the next morning. I leave the
electronics on but not playing.

Is there a CD that can be played to loosen the system up? I suspect the
speakers most. Bass extension is particularly absent at times. Any
suggestions as to whether playing a very low frequency sine wave or
similar could do the trick?

Hi-fi loudspeakers are well known to change after playing some time as the
voice coil heats up. If you can hear the difference perhaps it is time to
invest in some monitor speakers instead. They tend to use heavier gauge
voice coil windings and are better at removing heat from them too.

Ian

Ian