Nousaine

Default Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!!

Stewart Pinkerton
wrote:

On 27 Apr 2004 23:22:42 GMT,
(Nousaine) wrote:

"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

Actually, I've had three car crashes withing 50 yards of my living room

over
the years. So my analagy isn't so far fetched, is it? :-)

Sure it is. When was the last time you heard a car crash in your room or

where
you were in the direct acoustic field?
We've ALL heard car crashes from an acoustically distant perspective. "The
schreeching tires, the bustin' glass the woeful cries that I heard last

...oh
where oh where could my baby be...?"

Bu tif my listening room were within 50 yards of where woulld be likely to
occur ...I'd move.... most likely because the ambient noise level would be

too
high for anything but a sound-resistent construction. The latter is
unacceptable to me because it costs too much and it tends to accentuate
room mode peaks.

It depends. My listening room is within 20 yards of a crossroads on
the main Nottingham to Loughborough road, and there have been many
serious crashes over the 14 years we've lived here - but OTOH I have
13" thick brick/block walls, a concrete slab floor and triple glazing
on that room, giving a typical noise floor well below 30dBA. Since the
room is well dimensioned, I find that bass is the most solid I've ever
experienced, but not at all boomy. Large planar dipoles do help in
this regard of course, since the large quasi-line source (with large
variation in the distance to rear wall across the panel in my case)
spreads the resonances quite effectively.

Fair points. I live in a fairly remote subdivision large lots and widely spaced
houses 1.5-miles from the nearest 2-lane highway, 12-miles from the nearest
expressway and 50-miles from the nearest airport and have similar noise levels.

OTOH I've found that 1/2-inch drywall with stick frame construction provides a
fine way to help knock the tops off even my well distributes modal patterns.
The price is more speaker displacement to replace the lost sound pressure.