Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default Moving coil microphone frequency response

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
Nate Najar wrote:
What factors determine the frequency response of a moving col
microphone?=

Lots of them, but for a basic introduction you should get a copy of
"Music, Physics, and Engineering" by the great Harry F. Olson.

One thing I've noticed is that, concerning my re15's and 20' (some of my
fa= vorite mics!), the plots for them look very similar except that the
re20 ex= tends further down and up. So how come, if I want to make them
sound simil= ar, I have to cut about 4-6 db at 1000 cycles on the re15?
They sound eeri= ly similar when I do that, but that seems like a
drastic EQ for a mic that = was purported to be flat through that
range....

Because the plots are made in free space with a calibrated load on the
mike, and you are using them closer to the source and the load your
preamp puts on the mike is different.

I wish they had made the re29 the size of the 15 instead of the size of
a u= 67! =20

EV Founder Lou Burroughs told me the cardioid RE20 could have been the same
size as the RE15 but "Marketing" wanted it to be the size of the U67. All
things considered, Marketing was right. I, too, agree that another useful
tool would have been a small-body cardioid with Continuously-Variable "D".

And this is why there are still people using the 666 today....
--scott

After mixing some important shows in '69-'70, the politics of TV pushed me
onto the Lawrence Welk Show. I had been using the RE15 throughout the
orchestras on the other shows, but was told to use 666s, as had been the
previous favorite. After a while, I was able to move the tools up to the
RE15s. It seemed that Mr. Welk liked what I was doing. When I joined the
show, much of the music was pre-recorded off-sight. Three years later,
only a few numbers were done that way. I really think the RE15 was an
important part of the reason.

Here's an example of what the RE15 can do. Only the strings were mic'd
with the then-new Sony ECM-50s, on the instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rgLd6A0DWM

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"