Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Default Moving coil microphone frequency response

Nate Najar wrote:
What factors determine the frequency response of a moving col microphone?=

Lots of them, but for a basic introduction you should get a copy of
"Music, Physics, and Engineering" by the great Harry F. Olson.

One thing I've noticed is that, concerning my re15's and 20' (some of my fa=
vorite mics!), the plots for them look very similar except that the re20 ex=
tends further down and up. So how come, if I want to make them sound simil=
ar, I have to cut about 4-6 db at 1000 cycles on the re15? They sound eeri=
ly similar when I do that, but that seems like a drastic EQ for a mic that =
was purported to be flat through that range....

Because the plots are made in free space with a calibrated load on the mike,
and you are using them closer to the source and the load your preamp puts on
the mike is different.

I wish they had made the re29 the size of the 15 instead of the size of a u=
67! =20

And this is why there are still people using the 666 today....