Posted to rec.antiques.radio+phono,rec.audio.tubes,sci.electronics.repair

Default What type of capacitor should I use?

Big Bad Bob wrote:
On 03/09/17 17:01, wrote:
What type of capacitor would be the best match to replace the old
paper/wax caps in old tube gear?

I am not referring to the electrolytics, those I know need to be
electrolytic caps. I am referring to the inter stage caps, such as
.01 .05 .1, .005 and so on.....

The object is to replace all the caps in an old tube radio, or any
other tube stuff.

well, if you must replace them with more modern components, a decent
ceramic capacitor should do fine. From what I have seen, ceramics
were common in gear made in the 50's and 60's because of their small
relative size and reasonable consistency in manufacturing.

You should be able to order them from companies like Digikey, Mouser,
etc.. Just make sure the voltage ratings are high enough, and you
should be ok.

I've seen on-line "photo piles" of before/after restoration efforts in
which modern components were "hidden" inside of hollowed-out
components. Maybe you can stash a modern ceramic inside of the
paper/wax tube, and seal it up with a bit of hot glue...

Ceramic capacitors are mostly cheap crap. Some have a wide change in
capacitance, at different voltages. Some are microphonic, and their
normal failure mode is a dead short. About the only place they should be
used are for DC bybass, or in low power tuned circuits.

--
Never **** off an Engineer!

They don't get mad.

They don't get even.