Posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Recording with Measurement Mics

James Price wrote:
If the goal of a live recording is to record the instruments as
faithfully as possible to the source audio, wouldn't a measurement
mic with a flat response be preferred over a mic with a response
that's not flat?

For example, if I wanted to record a guitar playing through a 1x12
cab at a reasonable volume, wouldn't a flat response mic be preferred
if the goal were to record the sound coming out of the cab as
accurately as possible?

What people want is what's on records they have heard. So that's
something like an SM57, a Senn e609 ( or e906 ) or Audix i5.

I've done what you say. For distorted amps, people don't want
that. It's too crunchy and if it gets loud, it can overload the
FET in the condenser element.

For nice clean amps at reasonable volume it's great.

--
Les Cargill