Posted to rec.audio.pro
Roy W. Rising[_2_] Roy W. Rising[_2_] is offline

Default interested in audio fo video papers.

alex wrote:
Il 20/11/2011 14.40, MarkK ha scritto:
I'm looking for a set of rule of thumb helping me to realize a video
soundtracks. I'm mostly interested in LEVEL rules in order to achieve
a standard product, not too different souding from the average, in
terms of loudness. How the movie sound level do relate to the 1kHz
tone in the color bars section and things like that.

Any help?

Alex, I would say before you get a useable answer, you need to refine
your question.

There are at least 3 stages of production.

Are you talking about levels:

1) during the initial recording, or
2) during editing onto the finished product, or
3) when the finished product is transmitted over the air or cable to
the viewer.

The answer will be very different for each of these three cases.

Mark

thanks, i'm interested in the final step in producing a video with good
levels to be fully compatible with broadcast with a little or no change
to be made.

A kind of premastering step in audio!
I need do know clearly the relationships, if any, between the audio
program and the 1khz reference tone.

I would like to know aspects about your point 2 and 3!

regards alex

Get a pair of real VU meters, set Zero VU at 20 dB below Digital Zero for 1
KHz tone, keep it out of the red. That's what I did for 38+ years of TV
sound work ~ Pre- and Post Production, In the Studio, and Live on Air.

--
~ Roy
"If you notice the sound, it's wrong!"