Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default Ground Busses

On Mar 2, 8:33*am, Patrick Turner wrote:

Good Stuff.

Patrick, reducing your and Iain's post to a very few salient points,
am I correct in deriving "best practice" as follows:

a) The chassis must be grounded to the mains ground
b) The circuit ground should be separate and isolated from the chassis/
case, connected via the 27ohm@5W resistor.
c) The circuit ground should be as short as possible and loops (such
as connecting signal-shields at both ends) are to be avoided.

I see safety addresssed by grounding the chassis directly to the mains
ground. I see any excess potentials within the circuit bleeding to the
case. I also see isolating the circuit from the case helping when
other components are connected (and grounded).

It seems that this solution is the one that was actually put into
place on the humming pre-amp...

Thanks in advance.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA