Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Default The Problem with Stereo

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 7:45:42 PM UTC-4, Scott wrote:

=20
You can't separate them. Spacial perception heavily relies on temporal ch=

aracter of sound. You can't "hear angles." You can hear temporal difference=
s between the right and left ear in sound coming from an angle which your b=
rain will process as sound coming from an angle. Spacial perception relies =
on temporal information.

Thank you for writing in few words what typically takes me many. Must be th=
e German in me - never use one word where three-or-more will do better.=20

But the point of all this is that how sound is delivered in a listening roo=
m from linear motors driven by electronic impulses is nothing like what hap=
pens in a concert venue, unless the instruments are electronically reinforc=
ed (which is not uncommon in these troubled times). The sound is some analo=
g of the original noise that has been processed (engineered) into a shape t=
o be delivered via the motors with hopefully pleasing results.=20

It may be possible to enable the motors to provide noise that is 'spatially=
' closer to the original if the room has that capacity and the motors are c=
apable of directional delivery and the signal is there to be delivered. But=
it would require additional levels of processing, and probably additional =
channels. I am not so sure whether conventional binaural signals have that =
information in the correct form. This is where experimentation under real-w=
orld conditions will separate the theory from the actual.=20

I, at least, have experimented with the more brute-force approaches, passiv=
e and active. They are best described as "interesting", but not really some=
thing I would set out to accomplish in every venue. Often it is distracting=
, for a fact, and very nearly never riveting.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20