Michael

In article znr1088683813k@trad, says...

In article
writes:

A rough count of new posts overnight, shows that about 3/4 of them are OT.
In short, the topic of this NG has lost its interest to the people making
most of the posts.

I just don't bother to look at them. But I seem to be going through
the "on topic" posts a bit faster than I used to, which probably means
that there are not as many as there used to be. It could also mean
that there are more topics to which I have nothing to contribute.

In the few newsgroups I frequent, on-topic posting has declined
rapidly in the past year or so. I think one reason is because so
many regulars have taken their business elsewhere; to web-based
moderated boards for one, where off-topic posts and continuous
flamage are not tolerated.
The underlying reason, I think, is because the internet demographic
is rapidly changing. Back when Gabe was with us, most of the
usenet population was students and professionals who were excited
to find a forum where they could discuss their favourite subjects
with like-minded individuals. Now, bloody EVERYONE has access,
and the lowest common denominator has taken over, forcing those
who wish to discuss related subject matter to look elsewhere
(since it's not in person, so you can't bop them over the head
with a frying pan).
It's a shame; usenet was a great idea, and a potentially very
useful resource.
---Michael (of APP)...