Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chris Hermann

Default mixing live jazz recording (Earlier Thread Recording Jazz DrumKit)

Hello Scott

Is the piano important?

At least i think so, at least he's playing a lot of the time solo.
Were there piano solos, or pieces in which the
piano was the fixture of the arrangement?

as i already wrote, i think the piano player is together with the singer
the soloist. (dont know if this is the right word)

Is the kick drum important? It usually isn't in jazz... in fact, it's
often not used much at all. I wouldn't worry about that.

after reading the posts i think i'm fine with the kick drum.

The double-bass didnt have a pickup, but a big-condenser mike below the
bridge, which was ok. The additional U87 i used perhaps 1 ft away is not
really usable. Since the stage was very small, there is more drums and
piano than Bass on the U87.

Okay, but your mix is lacking drums and piano! If you need to get your
piano sound by bringing up the bass mike and EQing the low end out a
little bit, that's okay.

unfortunately the bass-player was on the side of the piano with the
higher strings and i'm not getting any sound of the piano bass or
bassdrum on the mike. It's more like a room mike with distant sounding
bass, piano and drums.

In general, I think people tend to overdo this for jazz. The dynamics
are part of the music and they're supposed to be wide.

i'm thinking about how wide it should be, and how can i find the right
measure. (it's probably also a matter of taste)

The vocal could perhaps also need some more presence?

I don't have any web access this week but I will check it out when I am
back on a machine with graphics and sound.

that would be nice.

thanks

chris