Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Robert Peirce Robert Peirce is offline

Default Vinyl temperature

On 10/31/16 1:10 PM, Peter Wieck wrote:
Re. tires, the manufacturers of high performance summer tires typically warn

not to use them below ~40F. The problem is not traction related, the
rubber compound
becomes brittle and prone to cracking. Also, one cannot count on
friction warming
the treads if the vehicle is driven at low speeds. This link talks about
using and
storing HPSTs:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=220

All true. But, HP tires are a different class from the common herd. However

and furthermore, tires age out in 3-5 (with some few lasting as long as
10 in
low ozone areas) years - another very seldom understood issue,
especially with
Great Aunt Esmeralda, who drives only to church, Bingo, and the market - her
tires will be 'done' long before they are 'done'.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

I find tracking your car solves this problem nicely. I can't think of
any other reason to use high performance tires. I run all seasons on my
daily driver.

[ Please bring the conversation back to audio topics. -- dsr ]