Posted to rec.audio.pro
Frank Stearns Frank Stearns is offline

Default Alesis HD24 problem

(Scott Dorsey) writes:

Frank Stearns wrote:

Okay, then you need a device to turn the lightpipe signal into a firewire
signal, then you need a computer with an operating system and some application
that can read from the firewire. Do you have these things and if so what
kind are they?

If such a thing existed, it would be a painful method, as it would likely be
a real-time transfer.

A bunch of them exist, and yes, it's realtime. What's wrong with realtime?

Well, if you had, say, 15-20 hours of 24 track from a 3 day location session, or
maybe 4-6 hours of a rehearsal plus performance from some other event, that's a LOT
of transfer time.

When you can get all that into the editor/mixer in a few minutes and get right to
work, that's a little better, at least for my workflow.

Slipping the hard drive out of the HD24 (as it's designed to do), connecting it to a
computer via a docking station that talks to your DAW, can be a blindingly fast way
to do the transfer.

The new 3rd party software is very fast; I get rates that are probably better than
50x real-time for transfers. (The original Alesis transfer software was probably
around 20-25x.)

What is this software? The only software I know of is the Alesis software.

HD24tools from Mark Brovaart in The Netherlands. In some ways I don't like it as
well as the original Alesis software, but he does have a preview mixer, a way to
select what to transfer based on stop/start points, and a full suite of recovery
tools should your HD24(xr) have an issue and mess up the disk. In over 10 years
I've never had a disk issue, but it can be a disaster if you're recording and the
power glitches (I *always* have my machines on a UPS), or if you're in a super loud
environment and the drive hiccups from vibration. (Thankfully, I never do that kind
of work.) In either case, HD24tools has methods and tools to recover that data.

And, the transfers are blindingly fast. As noted, at least twice as fast as the
Alesis software.

Frank
Mobile Audio