Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

Default Hi Rez digital vs. LP

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:45:07 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

On Apr 27, 6:03=A0am, rtweed wrote:

Snip

This is not a test of which sounds "better" but a test of transparency
of digital. I have done this test both with hi res and with CD rips of
vinyl. The CD rips were not perfectly transparent. I was able to
reliably hear differences. OTOH when I did the same test with 24/96
rips I was not able to discern any differences. If one wants to do a
test to determine which is "better" between CD and vinyl in so far as
which offers a superior aesthetic one need only to get a CD and LP of
the same titel that we know were mastered with no processing or the
same processing in the mastering and do blind A/B comparisons. I have
also done that. The LP has won every time and for the same basic
reasons. Of course the results will depend on one's vinyl playback
gear since their are substantial differences to be found there.

This is not my experience. I find that CDs made from vinyl records sound
identical to the records as do DSD and 24/96 LPCM copies of the records.