Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] Theporkygeorge@aol.com is offline

Default Is High End finally starting to accept multi-channel audio?

Steven Sullivan wrote:
These are all very true but the primary reason is the lack of a
suitable population of buyers with five or seven ears.

The fact that we have two ears does not mean that two *playback*
channels are optimum (except for headphones). That's because
the playback 'system' isn't just the listener and the loudspeakers
speakers...it includes a *space*.

Which does not mean two channels are not optimum. Ultimately it is all
about what goes into each ear.

Multichannel can produce a *more* realistic reproduction of
a live event than even the best two-channel system.

I have yet to hear this actually take place. Can you cite what
system/source material out performs the very best 2 channel has ever
produced?

This was
recognized even in the earliest days of sound reproduction,

Not sure I would give anything too much credibility from then. They
obviously were not using today's cutting edge 2 channel playback.

when three-channel playback was found to be better than
two-channel.

Suggestive that three channel may be inherently better than two channel
at best. Far from definitive proof of fact.

Scott