Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Big Bad Bob Big Bad Bob is offline

Default Andrew Jute KISS 194

On 06/28/16 06:16, Peter Wieck so wittily quipped:
I prefer the Boston sound

never heard that before, 'Boston Sound'. Or 'California Sound' for that
matter.

I just want flat response and reasonable sound distribution.

My home stereo speakers are 6x9 'triaxial' car speakers in ~3ft^3
infinite baffle cabinets (build ~40 years ago with a 2x3x4 dimension
ratio, which in many respects is 'ideal') with some cheap anti-echo
stuff stapled on the inside and decent grill cloth [it's actually Peavey
grill cloth, you can buy it in rolls if you look for it online]. The
triaxial car speakers were chosen specifically for a compromise of price
and performance, last replaced back in the mid 90's (the old ones were
disintegrating). They're not "the most expensive" speakers, but some of
the MORE expensive ones that were available at the time. [I forget who
makes them, Pioneer maybe].

These speaker cabinets sound nicer (or as good as) ANYTHING I've heard
ANYWHERE, in my bombastic opinion. It's almost as good as high end
headphones for frequency response. They fill a large living room with
sound, and they work really well for movie sound (even though it's just
2 channels) as well as music. It's like being in a theater, yeah.

but you'll want headroom on your amplifier to power anything like that.
at least 20W per channel. If you're using tubes, that'd be a pair of
6L6's or equivalent on each side. [you can by kit amplifiers with
that... last I checked]