Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Yes, practicalities matter, but it is in fact based on the paper "The
Stereophonic Zoom" (around 1983) by Williams.

I chose the 17cm spacing to retain the dimensions of
the ear-to-ear spacing of human heads.

Reading that paper will alter your understanding of stereo and it was
because of having read it I included also the larger base circle as a
suggestion, even if somewhat impractical as seen from a locationists
point of view. The concept being that it might be that the
de-correlation between front L, C and R would otherwise be too small.

Both configurations are similar in other respects.

Yes, which is why I found your concept most interesting. While searching
for that Williams paper I found another one:

http://iem.kug.ac.at/%7Esontacchi/20...d/williams.pdf

and then of course there is the DPA compendium, it may be available on
their site. They played an interesting recording of a drumkit made with
omni's on a hula-hop ring at the AES event mentioned.

Thank you for the interesting whitepaper. Information, ideas and theoretical
concepts are the food for experimentation.

I have a new clip of an indoor recording, which addresses some of the issues
talked about earlier in this thread.

This particular session was recorded at the Danbury Music Center, a former
100 year old library with nice vaulted ceilings and pleasing acoustics,
remeniscent of the radio orchestra settings of the late 1950s.

You'll hear a lot of incidental noises, like talking, because this is a
rehearsal and the orchestra members are taking notes and asking eachother
questions.

Recording setup is 6 Behringer B-1 large diaphragm condenser mics and a Mark
of the Unicorn 896, 8-channel, 96KHz, 24-bit A/D converter with individual
phantom-powered mic preamps. DAW is a Sony laptop computer running Vegas 4.0
multitrack software.

This MP3 clip was from the second rehearsal, June 17th. I managed to get
them to turn off the a/c for the first 56 minutes and we got some nice
audio! This is just a sample of the Left Front and Right Front mic channels,
for a basic stereo recording:

http://www.dv-clips.com/MP3/magnific...normalized.mp3

--
Best Regards,