Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bob Simon[_2_] Bob Simon[_2_] is offline

Default Ground Loop

On Sunday, October 27, 2019 at 6:41:20 AM UTC-5, Phil Allison wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

---------------------------

You must have missed the bit "My Panasonic TV (TH-50PH9UK) is a video
monitor only" !

** Nup, a TV set can be a monitor with a digital STB plus antenna
or cable box supplying the video.

Important to know, as those are prime causes of hum loops.

The OP also states that the audio goes nowhere near the monitor.

** Fake quote - just like fake news.

Complete bull****.

Ask Mr Trump.

.... Phil

I am the OP. John is correct - audio does not go to the TV, which does not have an audio amp or speakers. So, to be precise, it's really just a video monitor rather than a TV.

Yes, of course there are other devices that indirectly connect to both the audio system and the monitor. A Contour STB, BluRay player, and Fire Stick are all connected to an iArk 3-port HDMI switch with the output going to the monitor. 2-channel audio from this switch goes to the pre-amp as well as audio from the STB and BleRay player. The Cox feed to the STB is isolated using a Jensen ISO-MAX VRD-1FF CATV Isolator.

I did not include any information on these devices in my original post because the resolution of the hum issue did not involve them. The only change I made to eliminate the hum was lifting the ground to the video monitor.

In troubleshooting, I found that I could eliminate the hum by either disconnecting the HDMI cable from the HDMI switch to the TV or unplugging the three devices from the pre-amp. None of these configurations are useful but they led me to lifting the monitor's ground.