Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:51:38 -0500, Todd Lipcon
wrote:

Next time you might try micing the piano from a little farther off for
classical recording. Especially on a big instrument like a grand
Bosendorfer, the sound needs a little bit of space to spread/mix
acoustically before you get the mics on it. Assuming the room is good
and not noisy, you might like the stereo image more if you mic from 6+
feet away.

Right. Went to a live vs. recorded demo at Bosendorfer in Manhattan
last week and they used a closely-spaced pair of omnis. The
reproduced sound was just as muffled and congested as was the live
since I was seated less than 6 feet from the piano. When I returned
to the room from getting a glass of water, the sound of the piano at
15-20' was vastly superior.

Kal