Posted to rec.audio.tubes
flipper flipper is offline

Default Bridge or Center Tap?

On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:36:11 -0700 (PDT), "Paul D. Spiegel"
wrote:

For my next project I have acquired a transformer with two identical 450v
secondary windings. I could put the windings in parallel and use a bridge
rectifier. Or, I could put the windings in series and ground the coupling
for a 450-0-450 configuration to use with a pair of diodes.

Which would you do? What are the pro's and con's of the two
configuration?

For this project I am using SS rectifiers. Were I using a tube rectifier
I would go with the center tap, of course.

- Paul

A bridge is a little more efficient, say 20%, on transformer loading
than full wave center tap so if the VA is tight use a bridge.
Otherwise you can 'save the cost' of two extra diodes, which doesn't
count for squat in solid state but did with tube rectifiers.