Posted to rec.audio.pro
ChrisCoaster ChrisCoaster is offline

Default THE LOUDNESS WAR IS REAL!

On Feb 12, 10:56*pm, Ron Capik wrote:
On 2/12/2012 10:48 AM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

On Feb 12, 10:10 am, Ron *wrote:
On 2/11/2012 6:09 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

On Feb 11, 5:54 pm, Ron * *wrote:
On 2/11/2012 5:21 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:

On Feb 11, 1:30 pm, Ron * * *wrote:

I bought a Ventures CD several years back. The cover
art was identical to the old LP. Nothing to indicate that
it was any different from the LP. It wasn't compresses
to hell, it was disco-ized. The thing was un-listen-able.

Later...
Ron Capik
--
_________________________
Well, sounds like SOMETHING was done to it. *They probably stuck a

BTW I've done the same thing in Audacity to older tracks that were
from LP master tapes that contained nothing below 60-70Hz. *But I did
it conservatively and by constantly analyzing and listening to what I
was doing.
The Ventures post-producers probably just applied a boiler plate EQ to
the low end and ****ED it all up!

-CC

No, they screwed with the tempo. I never listened
enough to hear what else they screwed with.

Later...
Ron Capik

______________________
Man! I'd love to get a RIP of that CD! I'd at least re-equalize the
songs and slow them down.

LOL!

Seems I didn't quite make myself clear. So I sent
Chris a clip. I'll leave it to him review it if he cares.
Again, there's NOTHING anywhere in the packaging
to suggest that this was anything but a transcription.

I don't believe he still wants "a RIP of that CD."

Later...
Ron Capik

______________
I hope you read my e-mail. I stand corrected in it not being a
remaster, but I hope my feedback also makes sense to you.

-CC

Read your feedback. I don't think compilation and reissue
warnings really applied to CDs from ~1991. I don't believe
truth in packaging issues were (quite as) rampant back then.

Later....
Ron Capik

_____
Well it's a trend that gained momentum very slowly. As for the
loudness aspect eaklings of that began to appear as early as the mid
'90s according to a good website which I cannot recall on that
subject. Louder CDs and compressed remastering really picked up
momentum at the turn of the last decade. Has it come to a front? I
hope so. Technically there is only so far you can go with compressing
so much audio information into a 1 to 2 dB range of amplitude.
Clipping can and will start to occur as low as -5dB digital VU! Talk
about diminishing returns. I experimented with this in Audacity and
the effects of layered/hyper compression are downright DANGEROUS for
both playback equipment and for our EARS.

Now as for what are clearly reMAKES as in the case of your Ventures,
this has been going on for a long time! I'm going through some of my
parents' compilation vinyl from 20-30 years ago containing such acts
as the Penguins and the Marcels. And in fact, some of the versions of
the songs on there were rerecorded by THOSE GROUPS at least a decade
after their heyday - when those songs first shot up the charts. So
again for those buying 'Greatest Hits' compilations - either of one
group or of an entire era(Fab 50s or Sensational 70s or whenever) -
READ THE PACKAGING and BE CAREFUL!

regards,

-CC