Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

Default Mackie Onyx 1640i, Allan and Heath ZED R16 (and other $2000 mixers)

adam79 wrote:

This will be the main part of the home studio I'm starting. I like how
the Mackie has an output for every input just incase I have a client
that wants to record reel to reel. I'd be able to rent a reel to reel
and use it with the Mackie, the A&H wouldn't let me do that. This is a
far out scenario, but the option is nice.

If that's going to be a sometimes thing, you could use the
inserts on the A&H to go to and from the tape deck and it
will operate like an in-line console. Sure, they're
unbalanced, but unless you're using very long cables or
working in a high-EMI environment, that shouldn't be a
concern. It's too bad they didn't put direct analog outputs
on it, but you can't have everything unless you design it
yourself (or pay for more than you need).

of audio." - John Watkinson